you are here:

History and Landmarks

History and landmarks

Serock was mentioned for the first time in a document for the Benedictine abbey in Mogilno dating back to the year 1065 (the monastery was to receive part of income from Mazovian duke's lands, among other things). Serock gained its civic rights on Chełmno law in 1417 from Duke Janusz I the Older; it lost them in 1869, and regainded again in 1923.

Due to the convenient location of Serock on a high slope, at the junction of the Bug and Narew Rivers, a transport route important to trade with the East used to run through this area as early as the Middle Ages. Various attractive goods were transported by rafts and barges. A customs depot was located here as well. There was a number of craftsmen, fishermen, and in the later period - 17 th -18 th  c. - mill, brickyard and distillery workers. Other areas were inhabited mostly by peasants.

Serock economic structures were known as early as the 16 th century, what is attested to by a document from the Archive of Ancient Document in Warsaw, in which King Sigismund Augustus confirmed articles of the fishermen's guild in Seroczec town on June 22, 1567 in Warsaw.

In the years 1807-1808, by Napoleon's order, a fortress was constructed in Serock, which during the Polish-Austrian war of 1809 was the basic facility of General J. Niemojewski's actions. Until 1811, it was extended by Marshal Davout.
In the town's northern part, fragments of fortifications from that period, among others earth banks, have been preserved.

World War Two brought the town and community serious casualties. Before the war, Serock had a population of almost 6,000 people, and after the war only 3,500 people.

After World War Two, two factors had a significant influence on the development of the town and community:
1. making of Lake Zegrzyński and construction of holiday resorts
2. establishment of the Military Academy in Zegrze

Lake Zegrzyński, made in 1963, caused a gradual influx of tourists and holiday-makers - mainly from Warsaw - to this region. Due to the construction of resorts as well as private summer-resort houses, the population was considerably changing in the community in the summer season.
Over 40 years, the community residents' vocational structure was changed.
Many families sold their land for the construction of holiday resorts and private summer-resort houses, and started to work in resorts or summer resort service sector, to develop their own trade or service businesses, and to take up jobs in nearby Warsaw.